UN Volunteer Specialists
UNVUN Volunteers specialists - or simply UNVs - are professionals with several years of experience in their field of expertise who are selected from the UNV database for specific assignments lasting from 3 months to 4 years. The average age of a UNV is 38 years.
Given the fast recruitment process, around 45% of UN Volunteer specialists are deployed to peacekeeping or humanitarian aid missions with agencies such as the Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKOUN Department of Peacekeeping ) or the Department of Political Affairs (DPA). In fact, UNVs compose up to one third of the personnel of some peacekeeping missions.
Why you should consider a UNV assignment:
- You will gain direct exposure to the UN system and valuable field experience
- Travel, living cost and other expenses are covered
- You may apply even if you have no prior experience with the UN or in the field
- There is no upper age limit for candidates
- It may be a starting point for a career with the UN
- It is your chance to engage in non-profit work and sustainable development
Why, you ask, would I ever leave a stable position in Switzerland? Because the UN is the only organisation that addresses such a wide range of global issues to such an extent.
- A university degree (Bachelor’s or Master’s) or a higher technical diploma
- At least 2-3 years of relevant professional experience (see professional backgrounds in demand)
- Minimum 25 years old
- Good working knowledge of one of the UN working languages (English, French, Spanish)
- Technical skills relevant to the field of expertise
- Availability for short-term assignments
- Demonstrable interest in questions related to international cooperation, development, human rights, peace promotion or humanitarian politics
- Willingness to serve in hardship duty stations
How to apply
To be eligible for a UN Volunteer Specialist position, you need to register with your full profile in the UNV database. Take a look at our tips for completing your profile to increase your chances of being identified for a position. You will be directly contacted by the recruiters if they find your profile suits a particular position.
Meet the recruiters
Every year cinfo organises the UNV outreach mission - an event that allows interested candidates to meet with UNV recruitment specialists, be seen and get valuable tips on how to increase their chances of being selected for a position. Swiss professionals can also apply for an individual consultation to receive a direct feedback on their profile.
Interview with a Swiss UNV
Become active in development cooperation at a distance through UNV's Online Volunteering Service!
Blue Room Talks
UN Volunteers – Moving forward
Get ahead with cinfo
Are you Swiss?
cinfo offers additional information and services exclusively for Swiss nationals.