UNFPAUnited Nations Population Fund regularly seeks professionals to work in the areas of:
- gender-based violence
- reproductive health
- adolescent and youth
- gender and human rights
- population and development
- resource mobilisation
- HR / finance / IT procurement and programme management
- gender equality and women’s empowerment
UNFPA has a strong presence in humanitarian and emergency settings and therefore a significant need of emergency preparedness and response experts.
For experienced professionals
Professionals with at least 5 years of relevant experience are regularly sought for mid-career (P-3 and P-4) to senior-level (P-5 and D-1) staff positions, consultancies, or for UNVUN Volunteers assignments.
- Find UNFPA vacancies on our job portal cinfoPoste. Create a profile and set up your job agents (customised email alerts) to be notified of the latest job openings.
- If you are a mid-career professional interested in joining UNFPA, regularly check UNFPA's website for application calls or generic vacancy announcements to join a talent group or roster. If successful with your application, you will be placed in a pool of candidates that allows UNFPA offices worldwide to access your profile and contact you whenever a suitable position opens up. Recent initiatives included the Leadership Pool and the Surge Capacity roster.
- If you are specialised in a technical area, complete your profile in UNFPA's Consultant roster. Although they are fixed-term and non-staff functions, consultancies are considered an excellent way to join UNFPA as incumbents may apply for staff positions during and after their assignment.
- Register on the UNV database to become available for UN Volunteer specialist assignments. These significantly underrated positions are the starting point for many professional careers with the UN.
For junior professionals
UNFPA offers several entry-level opportunities for professionals with 2 or more years of experience in a relevant field.
- Junior-level staff positions
- Junior consultancies via the consultancy roster
- Junior Professional Officer (JPOJunior Professional Officer ) positions for Swiss nationals or for nationals of other countries.
For students and recent graduates
The UN Youth Volunteers Programme occasionally offers young graduates the opportunity to gain direct exposure to UNFPA's work in the field. Some UNYVUN Youth Volunteers positions are only open to nationals of certain countries or graduates of certain universities. If you are Swiss, learn more about the UNYV Programme for Swiss nationals.
Graduate-level students can complement their development-oriented studies with practical experience with UNFPA through an internship.
As of December 2016, a total of 700 staff members were based in 139 country offices, half of which were based in New York headquarters.
Approximately 85 % of UNFPA’s posts are located in the field.