Mercator Fellowship on International Affairs 2023/2024
Are you a young Swiss graduate with excellent command of German aiming at taking responsibility for the world of tomorrow? Do you have a concrete topic you would like to work on? Then the Mercator Fellowship on International Affairs programme is for you.
Climate change and energy security, economic and financial crisis, nuclear non-proliferation and disarmament, human rights and freedom of information, information security, water shortage, etc.: the challenges of our time can only be resolved through close international cooperation.
The Mercator Fellowship promotes for the programme 2023/2024 five Swiss university graduates from all fields who aspire to positions of responsibility in international organisations.
Purpose of the programme
The aim is to enable internationally thinking and acting young professionals to
- become experts in their chosen topic,
- help them build up an international professional network,
- develop profound intercultural skills.
During the 12-month programme, Fellows work in two to three international organisations, NGOs, think tanks or companies worldwide on a project topic of their choice. The Fellows select and organise the work stations themselves. Seminars on international cooperation and soft skills training round off the Fellowship.
The Mercator Fellowship on International Affairs is organised by the Swiss Study Foundation and the Mercator Switzerland Foundation, as well as the Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes and the Stiftung Mercator. Cooperation partners of this German-Swiss programme are the Federal Department of Foreign Affairs (FDFA) and the Federal Foreign Office. A total of 25 people can participate in the programme each year. The monthly fellowship amounts to CHF 3'500. In addition, further funding is available for stays abroad and language courses.
The programme begins with a preparatory seminar in June/July 2023 and an introductory seminar in September 2023. The project year starts in October 2023.
Become an expert in your chosen topic, build up an international professional network and develop profound intercultural skills. Apply now for the programme, including a project outline of your own design and possible work placements.
Deadline for application: January 31, 2023
- Independently conceived project on a topic of global relevance
- Very good degree from a university or college (Bachelor's degree not sufficient)
- Very good knowledge of German and English as well as knowledge of another foreign language
- A total of at least six months of experience abroad after graduation
- A total of at least one year's work experience (internships are counted)
- Maximum age 29 years (military or civilian service and maternity leave may be taken into account)
- Very good understanding of international contexts and current political developments
- Broad personal interests and social commitment
- Intercultural competence, ability to work in a team and organisational skills
- Swiss nationality or residence category C (applicants with German citizenship please apply to the German programme).