Talent programme "Swiss Youth at the United Nations"
Immerse yourself in the work of the United Nations for a year.
For Swiss graduates only: The Swiss government, through the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) and the Peace and Human Rights Division (PHRD), funds a one-year talent programme at the United Nations - up to 20 positions are offered each year. With a Master's degree in hand and some initial work experience, you are eligible for this unique international opportunity.
Types of assignments
The positions we advertise are diverse and reflect the thematic priorities of UN organisations, all of which address the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Some examples include:
- Human rights
- Programme analysis and coordination
- Gender equality
- Monitoring and evaluation
- Peacebuilding coordination
Next call for application: 2024
All positions for "Swiss Youth at the UN" are listed on our job portal, cinfoPoste. To stay updated, create your profile and activate the relevant job agent.
The following positions to work with the UN are now closed for applications:
Closed positions - Funded by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC):
- Youth Engagement in Climate Change Action Associate - UNICEF, Azerbaijan
- Programme Associate, Gender-Responsive Leadership - UN Women, Bangladesh
- Associate Policy Analyst - Environment and Climate Change - UNDP, Cambodia
- Associate Education Officer - UNICEF, Cambodia
- Humanitarian Programme Analyst - UN Women, Jordan
- Disaster Risk Reduction and Climate Change Associate - UNDP, Kosovo
- Associate Gender Based Violence Officer - UNFPA, Nepal
- Associate Resource Mobilization Officer - UNICEF, Nigeria
- Programme Associate in Decentralization and DRR - UNDP, North Macedonia
- UN Youth Volunteer in Protection - UNHCR, Venezuela
Closed positions - Funded by the Peace and Human Rights Division (PHRD):
- Human Rights Monitoring Associate - OHCHR, Mexico
- Peace and Development, Transitional Justice, and Reconciliation Associate - UN RCO, Serbia
- Peace and Development Support Associate - IOM, Sri Lanka
- Gender Project Support Associate - UN Women, Tunisia
- Gender Equality Associate - UN Women, Venezuela
- UN Youth Volunteer in Protection - UNHCR, Burundi
- Programme Associate, Governance and Rule of Law - UNDP, Burundi
- Peace and Development Associate - UN RCO, Colombia
- Transitional Justice Associate - Un Women, DRC
- Peace and Development Youth Associate - UNDCO, Kosovo
- Swiss nationality
- Master's degree in a relevant field
- Ideally 12 months of relevant work experience (min. 3 months - max. 24 months)
- Max. 28 years old at the time of application
- Excellent command of English and knowledge of two official Swiss languages (active knowledge of at least one of them)
- Demonstrated thematic interest in international cooperation, development, human rights, peace promotion or humanitarian affairs
Find out more about the programme:
Swiss Youth at the United Nations / World Bank
Where are they now?
Past participants of the programme look back on their experiences. What are the main learning opportunities of the programme? What are the career paths of these young people a few years after their assignment abroad?
Discover the results of our survey
Webinar replay: UN Youth Volunteer opportunities 2023
Frequently asked questions
Our blog - to inspire you further
What skills should you have (or be able to learn easily on the job) for a posting abroad, for example as a UN Youth...
Vittoria Groh spent one year in Haiti as part of the talent programme "Swiss Youth at the United Nations". She talks us...